Getting to New Zealand

The 19th Commonwealth Fly Fishing Championships will be held in the Taupo region located in central North Island of New Zealand. And while Wellington and Rotorua do accept a small number of International Flights, the main airport to fly into is Auckland International. From here Taupo is a 3 ½ hour drive south. Taupo does have a domestic airport where smaller planes can be taken domestically direct to Taupo, however when fishing in this region you would be best advised to have your own transport to get around and explore the many wondrous lakes and rivers of the region, which Auckland has many car rental companies to choose from.



From 1 October 2019, you will not be allowed to travel to New Zealand if you do not have a visa or an NZeTA.

 For more information please visit:

 You can

  • Travel to New Zealand without first applying for a visa — if you are from a visa waiver country, a cruise ship passenger or a permanent resident of Australia.
  • Pass through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on the way to or from Australia.
  • Pass through Auckland International Airport as a transit passenger on the way to another country — if you are from a visa waiver or transit visa waiver country.
  • Get someone to help you with your NZeTA request — you will need to tell them about your criminal conviction history and whether you are seeking medical treatment in New Zealand.

Things to note

  • From 1 October 2019, if you are from a visa waiver country you must hold an NZeTA before you travel.
  • Allow up to 72 hours for processing, but it could take as little as 10 minutes.
  • An NZeTA request costs NZD $9 on our free app, or NZD $12 if completed online.
  • You pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) at the same time as your NZeTA. This costs NZD $35.

Holidaying in New Zealand

You do not need a visa to visit New Zealand if you are:

  • A New Zealand or Australian citizen or resident
  • A UK citizen and/or passport holder (you can stay up to six months)
  • A citizen of a country which has a visa waiver agreement with New Zealand (you can stay up to three months).

If you don’t meet the above, then you’ll need a visitor visa, which allows you to holiday in New Zealand for up to nine months. The fastest and easiest way to apply for a visitor visa is online.

Before travelling to New Zealand, you need to make sure your passport is valid for at least three months longer than your expected departure date. If you come from a country that needs a New Zealand visa to enter, please be sure to apply in advance.

If you have a biometric ordinary passport (or electronic passport) and are over 12 years old, you may be able to use New Zealand Customs eGate service. This allows you to complete your Customs and Immigration checks faster so you can get on with enjoying your visit to New Zealand.

What you can bring into New Zealand

After you’ve cleared passport control, you should collect your baggage and proceed through customs and biosecurity checks. In order to protect New Zealand and its environment, certain items are not allowed to be brought into the country, have restrictions for entry or must be declared if they are deemed to present a biosecurity risk. These include food, plants, animal products and outdoor recreational equipment.

Your baggage may be sniffed by a detector dog and/or x-rayed, and it may be searched to identify any risk goods you might be carrying.

To avoid penalties, it is best to familiarise yourself with these guidelines prior to travel. For a detailed list of prohibited, restricted or declarable items, please visit Ministry for Primary Industries (biosecurity agency).

Fishing Gear:

New Zealand has very strict bio-security controls at its borders, to avoid the transfer of unwanted pests.

To slow the spread of the invasive algae didymo, in New Zealand waterways, MAF Biosecurity New Zealand requires all used freshwater fishing equipment brought into New Zealand to be clean and dry.

When you enter New Zealand you must declare all freshwater activity equipment on your Passenger Arrival Card and to a Quarantine Inspector. This includes all fishing equipment such as rods, reels, tackle boxes, nets, boots, waders, fishing flies and any feathers or other non-artificial material used for fly tying. As you are going through Customs, your fishing equipment will be inspected and if MAF inspectors are not satisfied that the gear is clean and dry, they will arrange for the equipment to be treated (which takes time and is likely to be inconvenient) before giving it biosecurity clearance.

MAFBNZ staff are required to treat all used freshwater fishing equipment they determine or suspect is not completely dry inside and out, regardless of whether it has been cleaned before coming to New Zealand. Felt-soled waders and boots are of particular concern. The use of Felt soled waders/Boots are BANNED in New Zealand Waters.

All freshwater fishing equipment including rods, reels, tackle boxes, nets and waders should be clean and free of organic residue.


For further information on how to clean your fishing gear:



Travelling by car in New Zealand

All vehicles in New Zealand travel on the LEFT HAND SIDE of the road with a maximum speed limit of 100 kilometres per hour on the Open Road and 50kph through built up areas.

You can drive in New Zealand on your overseas drivers licence if you are a visitor OR have a temporary visa. New Zealand roads can be very windy and narror in many rural areas. Take care on the roads a confident driver is a must.


Pre-event Help and Assistance

For teams requiring help and assistance with pre-event accommodation traveling to fishing destinations and other matters, local guides and hosts will be offering their services. All arrangements between teams and hosts are to be negotiated between teams and hosts and not through the event organisers.  For further detail contact .